Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Kitchen floor Should never be replaced in 2 days!


This last weekend was a fun weekend, but a long one. It all started on Friday night when I decided to pull up a layer of linoleum, and 12"x12" linoleum tiles. The linoleum tiles had started to come up, so the kitchen floor had to be replaced. I thought it would only take a few hours and I would be able to go to bed at 10, well at ten I had pulled up the linoleum, but there was still a layer of paper on the floor that I needed to get rid of. Thankfully my co-worker gave me a heat gun and I was able to get the paper up quicker . . . (quicker meaning that I finally finished at 2 AM.)

The next morning my friend Warren came over and helped me lay the new floor. The one good thing was that the floor was already level, so there was minimal prep work. After getting the vapor barrier down, things seemed to go a lot quicker. We got the glue down, had lunch, and then started laying tile. We found out that we were going to be pretty close on glue. It ended up that we used up all of the glue for the kitchen. It took all day. After getting the duraceramic tile laid, we went to dinner with Warren's wife and some friends. Then we returned home, and finished grouting. I had no idea that the project was going to take all day. I was grateful that Warren was willing to spend his whole day helping me put in my kitchen floor.

Sunday night we went to my sisters for dinner and then came home and started to scrub the floor to get all the grout residue up off the floor. It was taking a long time, so Jenny decided to just finish it the next day. After a long day of scrubbing the floor with help from her mom and brother, Jenny got the floor cleaned.

So after two long days and a lot of help from a good friend, Here is the finished product.






4 comments:

Andy and Ellen Family said...

I love it. It looks great!! I really do like the color. You're right it should never have to be done in two days. A lot of people start work like that and don't know what they are getting in to. So they get half way done or less and call someone like Andy to finish because they didn't realize how long it would take. Home Depot makes people think they can do anything and some people really can't do it no matter how hard they try! I'm glad to know you are not one of those people!

Hillary said...

It looks great! I always think cleaning the carpets will take a couple of hours, but that is not true either if you want it done right.

Someday I will have a kitchen where the linoleum is not peeling up off of the floor.

Reil family said...

It looks great, good job!

Becky said...

That looks great, I am impressed you got it all done in just 2 days.